Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 7-8 hours Servings: 6
- 1) 2-3lb. smoked elk or buffalo roast
- 4 cups water
- 1) 32 oz. box vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6) medium potatoes, peel and cubed
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow squash, cut into rounds
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, squash, onions and mushrooms in the bottom of a 6 quart crockpot. Place buffalo or elk roast over the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix all spices (except bay leaves), set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the water and vegetable broth. Sir in the spice mixture.
- Add broth mixture until the liquid comes to the middle of the roast. Add bay leaves.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Change to low for the final 3-4 hours, adding more broth mixture as necessary.
For the Plum Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 3/4 jar plum jam (18oz. jar) with 2 Tbsp. white vinegar, 1 tsp. each: crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Remove from heat. Serve over slow cooked elk or buffalo roast with vegetables.
If frozen, thaw smoked elk in your refrigerator.
To warm, heat in oven for 15 minutes per pound at 250°F
Copy and paste to create more